The Sacramento Police Department is asking for the community’s help in identifying persons involved in multiple burglaries in laundry rooms.
Photos from: Sacramento Police Department
Two suspects are believed to be responsible for multiple burglaries of laundry rooms at apartment complexes listed below. In each instance, it appears that the coin mechanism of the washer and dryer machines have been targeted after the suspects forced entry into the unoccupied locked rooms.
The suspects are described as Black males approximately 25 to 30 years old. One of the suspects has been described by witnesses as having a thin build with a short afro and goatee.
The suspects are believed to have targeted the following places:
- 1000 block of Santiago Avenue, occurred sometime between March 2, 2013 and March 3, 2013; forced entry was made into the laundry room and the coin mechanism was stolen from the top of the washing machines.
- 3200 block of Norwood Avenue, occurred sometime between March 5, 2013, and March 7, 2013; forced entry was made into the laundry room and the entire coin operated washing machine was stolen.
- 500 block of Lampasas Avenue, occurred March 8, 2013 at approximately 8:00 a.m.; two Black male adults were seen forcing entry into the laundry room of an apartment complex and removing the dryers. The suspects reportedly loaded the machines into a vehicle before fleeing the scene.
- 1500 block of Sonoma Ave, occurred March 8, 2013 at approximately 12:56 p.m.; a tenant went to investigate noises coming from the laundry room and came upon the two suspects removing the coin container mechanism from a washing machine. One of the suspects brandished a handgun at the tenant before fleeing the scene.
- 400 block of Fairfield St, occurred March 21, 2013 at approximately 9:00 p.m.; forced entry was made into the laundry room and the coin mechanism was stolen from the top of the washing machines.
- 400 block of Redwood Ave, occurred March 23, 2013 at approximately 10:00 p.m.; a manager discovered the coin box taken from the locked laundry room. Surveillance footage was recovered (see pics) and the suspect appears to be wearing a gray baseball cap, dark clothing, white and black gloves and is in possession of a crowbar.
The Sacramento Police Department urges anyone with information pertaining to these crimes to contact the dispatch center at (916) 264-5471 or Crime Alert at (916) 443-HELP (4357) or text in a tip to 274637 (CRIMES). Enter SACTIP followed by the tip information. Callers can remain anonymous and may be eligible for a reward of up to $1,000.