The Sacramento Police Department took it upon themselves to provide these safety tips for both students and drivers:
- Always cross the street at a crosswalk, preferably at an intersection controlled by a traffic signal or stop sign.
- Look both ways while crossing. Walk, don't run.
- When biking, design your route around streets with clearly marked bike lanes, when possible.
- Always wear a bike helmet.
- Bike with the flow of traffic; walk against traffic.
- Motorists should be prepared to slow down for children entering the roadway.
- Use caution when sun glare may degrade a driver's vision.
- Parents should plan your child's route if they walk or cycle to school (safety spots to seek help, best places to cross roadways, ensure child does not get lost).
- Never walk alone at night.
- Never ask for or accept a ride from stranger.
If you're lucky, maybe you'll run into officers directing traffic like the guys in Charlotte, NC :