Tomorrow is Halloween and families will be out trick-or-treating. Here’s some tips to stay safe from Safe Kids Worldwide and the Sacramento Police Department.
Photo by: Micky**
- Children under the age of 12 should be with an adult.
- Stay in your own or a familiar neighborhood
- Bring a flashlight or glow stick.
- Stop only at familiar houses and those with lights on.
- Carry only flexible props.
- Cross the street at corners, using traffic signals and crosswalks.
- Watch for cars that are turning or backing up.
- Make sure costumes are the right size to prevent trips and falls.
- Choose face paint and makeup over masks, which can obstruct vision.
- Feed your children before heading out.
- Accompany your children, especially if they are under the age of 12.
- Inspect your child’s candy.
- Plan your route ahead of time.
- Take a cell phone or walkie-talkies.
- Avoid shortcuts through alleys and stay in well lit areas.
- Have your child wear a bracelet so you can identify them.
- Don’t drink and drive.
- Popular trick-or-treating hours are 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. so be especially alert for kids during those hours.
- Drive slowly and be especially alert in residential neighborhoods.
- Take extra time to look for kids at intersections, on medians, and on curbs.
- Watch for children darting between cars.
- Use caution when backing and entering into driveways.
- Eliminate distractions inside your car so you can concentrate on the road and your surroundings.
- Keep pets away from children.
- Use a glow stick instead of candles on your front porch.
- Remove obstacles leading to your front door.
- Call police if you observe an suspicious activity.